Around 200 participants attended the Webinar on climate change mitigation through sustainable urban mobility plans (SUMPS), organised in cooperation with DG REGIO, DG MOVE and DG CLIMA on 15 September 2021.
The webinar targeted transport planning practitioners and decision makers at local and governmental level throughout Europe.
Urban Mobility causes substantial Green House Gas (GHG) emission. The local contribution to mitigate Climate Change requires a strategic approach. Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs) are the most common strategic planning tool for urban mobility, strongly advocated by the European Commission and supported by JASPERS and the EIB at large.
The necessity and urgency to define Climate action objectives in SUMPs has increased and became subject to JASPERS advice in several cities and regions.
The webinar was organised in cooperation with the European Commission and aimed at providing methodological and practical guidance and experience with the definition and integration of Climate Change mitigation objectives into the SUMP, the way to address this in the SUMP process, the shift of the type and scope of measures considered in a SUMP, the relevant indicators and the necessary re-iteration in case the quantitative objectives are not met over time.
The objectives of the webinar were to:
- Raise awareness of participants about the importance of planning GHG reduction strategies at local level and learn how to link them with urban transport targets in SUMPs and potential investments based on them;
- Contribute to preparing future urban mobility investment activities aimed at decarbonising urban transport.
- Ensure participants have the necessary information to define the scope for consultancy engagements for Climate related SUMP updates/revisions.
The webinar has seen the participation of around 200 transport planning practitioners and decision makers at local and governmental level throughout Europe, the Western Balkans and beyond.
Through the various sessions the webinar has provided participants with:
- information on activities, funding tools and initiatives at EU level,
- methodological guidance in defining and monitoring climate change mitigation objectives in sustainable urban mobility planning,
- overview of the way urban mobility is addressed in local climate strategies,
- experience from a number of cities and regions with actual approaches in integrating climate change mitigation objectives into SUMPs and the impact of measures defined on that basis,
- information on the importance of a solid strategic basis for urban mobility projects financed by the EIB.
1. JASPERS Support to urban mobility - REGIO-JASPERS
2. DG RTD on Cities Mission - W.Pankauke
3. DG CLIMA on Fit for 55 - C. De Grandis
4. JASPERS on Climate Change mitigation in Transport Planning - N. Di Volo
5. INFRAS on urban strategies and SUMPs -D. Sutter
6. DG MOVE Overview of relevant projects, launch of SUMP topic guide - P.Rapacz
8. Strategic framework Vienna - A.Winkler
9.1 Andalucia Regional Climate Plan - Andalusia Region-JASPERS
9.2 Andalucia SUMPs in metropolitan areas - Andalusia Region
10. Integrating Climate change mitigation in SUMPs and Regional Transport Plans in Poland
11. GoodMove_Brussels - S.Vandenhende
12. SFAX municipality experience - I.Karoui
13. Milan SUMP circular economy- G. Grea
15. Innovative regional funding Baden-Württemberg - S.Fedderke
16. EIB lending approach and experience in urban mobility- N. Valentine
For any further enquiry on this webinar and in general on the activities of the JASPERS Knowledge Platform please write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org